Top ten favorite food, expect to find chicken wings on there, so obviously I was super excited to experiment and try making these spicy mango jalapeno chicken wings! This recipe is so delicious and so gratifying, and I originally planned to make these as an appetizer but truthfully… I love this as my whole lunch or dinner.
I mean, I can just go on a rant to talk about how much I love spicy food, mangos, jalapenos, and chicken wings. Honestly, that is how my recipe development process goes, I just pick all the flavors and ingredients that I like and then combine them!
The great thing though about chicken wings is that the base is simply the same by coating the dried wings with flour, spices, and cornstarch. Coating and baking them creates a great base to choose literally what sauce you want. I can make ANY kind of wings but following this method.
Check out my other recipes that are great for lunch!
With this spicy mango and jalapeno chicken wings recipe, I recommend using the jalapenos to your spicy level! I love it to be extremely hot and spicy so I did add more but if you aren’t experimental with your taste buds like I am, skip the jalapeno as a garnish if you’d like!
Also, a great alternative to the rice wine vinegar is lemon juice or apple cider vinegar!
Lastly, baking your chicken wings is not only healthy but way safer than frying them in hot oil or even grilling the, because those are two things I am not sure how to do quite yet. You will still get it to a nice crispy layer and is perfectly ready to soak up all of that spicy mango sauce! Also, I’m so excited to try out this recipe but with an air fryer (see this post about essential kitchen tools) once I get my hands on them!
Honestly, there is no better way to impress your guests with your tangy and spicy wings, and hey – be the star of the show!
Spicy Jalapeño & Mango Chicken Wings Recipe
A wonderful kick to your sweet and spicy chicken wings. Warning: you may not want to share!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 2 tbsp of cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 lb chicken wing
For the spicy mango sauce
- 2 mangos
- 4-5 jalepeno peppers, optional, seeded or unseeded
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- ½ cup rice wine vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- ½ cup honey
- Chopped cilantro (optional)
- Sliced jalapeños (optional)
- Start by preheating the oven to 425ºF.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the flour, chili powder, cornstarch, garlic powder, pepper, and salt.
- Rinse the chicken wings to get read of any water it has been sitting in. Pat the chicken wings dry using a paper towel.
- Once dry, in batches, add them to the flour mixture and place chicken wings on a wired baking sheet. It's helpful as it will not stick to the actual pan, making it easier to flip later on.
- Bake at 425ºF for 45 minutes. Flip halfway to make sure you have even cooking.
- In a food processor or blender, mix together the mango, jalapeno peppers, garlic, paprika, rice wine vinegar, and lemon juice. Blend until smooth and well mixed as it should be a bright orange color by this point.
- In a saucepan, combine honey with your mango habanero mixture at medium heat. This adds some extra sweetness to your wings. Stir occasionally to prevent sticking and simmer for 5-10 minutes, until your chicken is fully coated and warmed.
- Place on a parchment-lined baking sheet and bake again at 450ºF for 8-10 minutes or until the sauce has slightly caramelized.
- Garnish with cilantro and sliced jalapenos!
Recipe really calls for 5 servings, but if this was an appetizer. If you plan on eating this alone (like I do always), this would be closer to 3 servings!
As an Amazon Associate and member of other affiliate programs, I earn from qualifying purchases.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 5 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 897Total Fat: 45gSaturated Fat: 16gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 25gCholesterol: 149mgSodium: 1158mgCarbohydrates: 91gFiber: 4gSugar: 47gProtein: 35g
Pin for later!